Castelli Gallery was started by Leo Castelli in New York at 4 East 77th Street on February 10, 1957.
Contacts & Details
Castelli Gallery was started by Leo Castelli in New York at 4 East 77th Street on February 10, 1957. In 1958 the gallery gave Jasper Johns his first exhibition. Within 10 years, the gallery became the international epicenter for Pop, Minimal, and Conceptual Art, showing among others Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, Cy Twombly, Frank Stella, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, James Rosenquist, Donald Judd, Dan Flavin, Robert Morris, Bruce Nauman, and Keith Sonnier.
In 1971 the Castelli Gallery opened a second space at 420 West Broadway in SoHo. During this decade, several Conceptual artists joined the gallery, including Joseph Kosuth, Lawrence Weiner and Hanne Darboven. Leo Castelli, the gallery’s founder, had an unparalleled eye for quality, combined with his extraordinary skill for nurturing and promoting new art and artists. These essential qualities secured his position as possibly the most respected and influential advocate for contemporary art of his time.
In 1999 the Leo Castelli Gallery moved the Upper East Side, where it has since been located. The gallery is now directed by Castelli’s wife, Barbara Bertozzi Castelli. Ms. Bertozzi Castelli is an art historian whose specialization is post-war Japanese avant garde art.
The gallery maintains a commitment to showing the best of post-war American art, with a focus on the art movements to which it has been home for so many years, alternating exhibitions of new work with rigorous critical presentations that shed new light on understanding of Pop, Minimal and Conceptual Art today.