EAV Parque Lage
Contacts & Details
EAV Parque Lage was founded in 1975 by Rubens Gerchman, taking over what was formerly the Instituto de Belas Artes, an art school with a traditional curriculum. The mansion in Parque Lage, where EAV still operates, is of eclectic design, and is listed by IPHAN as historical and landscape heritage. It was designed by Mário Vodrel in 1920 as the residence of Brazilian shipbuilder Henrique Lage and his wife, Italian opera singer Gabriela Besanzoni. With the inception of EAV, the mansion and grounds were taken over by an ebullience of cultural expression, the outcome of Gerchman’s vision in creating a non-traditional educational establishment aimed at nurturing new aesthetic conceptions. Currently, the Parque Lage continues to make space for the experimentations of the new generations.