This exhibitions presents one of the Turner Prize 2013 winner’s most ambitious projects. The “Grand Dad’s Visitor Center” is a Gesamtkunstwerk consisting over 15 works, including large-scale installations, videos, projections, sculptures and found objects. It is dedicated to the artist’s grandfather who repeatedly plays a role in her works. He was a prolific conceptual artist and close friend of famous German Dadaist Kurt Schwitters, and, after digging a long tunnel from his studio to Africa, he supposedly vanished into it one day for good, leaving his wife as the sole guardian of his works.
The Gesamtkunstwerk consists of walls, rooms and corridors, in which the artist plays with light and sound, images and written words, moments of peacefulness as well as outbursts of euphoria. Thereby, she is able to captivate and engage the visitors of this exhibition, and invites them to come along her journey, in which the search for identity is a key topic.
- Laure Prouvost, The Artist, 2010. Installation view, "Mirrorcity", Hayward Gallery, London, 2014. Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca, Photography by Tim Bowditch
- Laure Prouvost, IDEALLY HERE THE ROOM WOULD BE SUPER MODERN WITH SHARP ANGLES FULL OF MIRRORS AND WINDOWS, 2014, Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca
- Laure Prouvost, Wantee, 2013. Installation view, “Schwitters in Britain”, Tate Britain, London. Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca, Photography by Tate, Lucy Dawkins
- Laure Prouvost, The Wanderer (God First Hairdresser/Gossip Sequence Installation), 2013, HD video and unique mixed media installation, Installation view at Gallery TPW, Toronto, 2013. Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca
- Laure Prouvost, Since he is gone, weaved by Grand Ma, 2014, tapestry, fabric, wood, spotlight and video component (02 min. 24 sec.). Courtesy the artist and Nathalie Obadia, Paris
- Laure Prouvost, Karaoke, 2014. Video still (3 min. 34 sec.). Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca
- Laure Prouvost, Green Priest White Priest Raspberries, For Forgetting, 2014, Video still (01 min. 42 sec.). Courtesy of Pirelli HangarBicocca