Established in 1910, Kunsthaus Zürich was born with the ideal to be neither museum nor art gallery.
Contacts & Details
Kunsthaus Zürich was born with the ideal to be neither ‘museum’ nor ‘art gallery’ – as the architect Karl Moser suggested, but both – and with the aspirations to bring art to a broad public. Kunsthaus Zürich was opened in 1910 on land donated by city councillor Landolt. 1920 signalled an important date in the history of the Kunsthaus: the collection of Hans Schuler was given as a legacy to the Kunsthaus including major works of French Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.