Also known as Bibliotheca Bodmeriana (or Bodmer Library), it is a Swiss heritage site of national significance. The library was established by Martin Bodmer in 1920 and is famous as the home of the Bodmer Papyri. Some of these papyri are among the oldest remaining copies of the New Testament.
Bodmer selected the works focusing on what he saw as the five pillars of world literature: the Bible, Homer, Dante Alighieri, William Shakespeare and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. He prioritised autographs and first editions. In 1951, Bodmer built two neo-baroque houses in Cologny to accommodate the collection.
In 1970, shortly before Bodmer’s death, the Bodmer Foundation was established to make the collection accessible and conserve it.