In 1145 this place was a cemetery area where to bury the dead of the nearby hospital.
Then in the year 1210, at the bottom of the cemetery, it was built a room to gather the bones exhumed from the cemetery itself. A few years later, in 1268, was built a small church, near the ossuary. The confraternity of Disciplines took care to adorn the new ossuary: in the years 1694 Sebastiano Ricci painted the ceiling of ossuary.
The Confraternity of the Disciplines in 1750 decided to build near the ossuary a biggest church, the current church of San Bernardino, using the old church as the new atrium.
Today the space also hosts temporary contemporary exhibitions, attracting visitors all year round.
Mon – Fri 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 6pm
Sat 9.30am – 6pm, Sun 9:30am – 12pm
W: San Bernardino alle Ossa
Piazza s. Stefano, 1022, Milan, Italy