The Hungarian National Gallery (also known as Magyar Nemzeti Galéria), was established in 1957 as the national art museum. It is located in Buda Castle in Budapest, Hungary. Its collections cover Hungarian art in all genres, including the works of many nineteenth- and twentieth-century Hungarian artists who worked in Paris and other locations in the West.
The Hungarian National Gallery (also known as Magyar Nemzeti Galéria) is the largest public collection documenting and presenting the rise and development of the fine arts in Hungary. It has operated as an independent institution since 1957.
The basis of its collection is the New Hungarian Picture Gallery at the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts, and the Hungarian material belonging to that museum’s collections of modern sculpture, medals, and prints and drawings.
The HNG moved to its present location, the former Royal Palace of Buda, in 1975, into buildings B, C and D, which have been refurbished for the purpose. In October it opens its exhibitions, in a provisional form. Its holdings are augmented with the material of the Department of Old Hungarian Art at the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts. In this way the showing becomes possible of the entire history of art in Hungary, works from the 11th century to the present.
In 2005 The exhibition spaces are augmented through the acquisition of Building A of Buda Castle.
tue, wed, thu, fri, sat, sun 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Buda Palace, Buildings A, B, C, D, Szent György tér 2