The Vasarely Museum is located in a peaceful of Budapest (Óbuda), on the banks of the Danube. It used to function as the storage building of the grand 18th-century Zichy Palace and was turned into a museum in 1987, after Victor Vasarely (Győző Vásárhelyi) donated a rich selection of his work to the Museum of Fine Arts. One of the wings of the Baroque Zichy mansion, Óbuda was redesigned to accommodate the permanent display of works personally selected by the artist.
Vasarely, a major figure of the international kinetic and op art movements, had donated works to the the Museum of Fine Arts several times after 1959.
Vasarely spent most of his life in Paris, where he became a world-famous painter. The collection of over 400 one-off and reproduced pieces of art gives a thorough overview of the oeuvre from the early advertising supplements drawn in Hungary, to the op art and plastic pieces from the 1960-70ies. Temporary exhibitions include solo exhibitions and curated group shows with Hungarian and international artists, often curated by Dóra Maurer.