Museum of History of Photography
The Museum of History of Photography was established in 1972 in PaŁ‚ac Pugetów at 13, Starowiślna Street, attached to the Krakow Photographic Society.
The idea of its establishment was put forward by WŁadysŁaw Klimczak, president of the Krakow Photographic Society. In the course of years, the Muzeum Historii Fotografii has changed many locations. In July 1992 the Museum moves to new premises at 16, Józefitów Street, an urban villa designed by engineer Rudolf Hand in 1923, where is located even today.
The mission of The Museum of History of Photography in Krakow is to safeguard the cultural heritage entrusted to it, to raise awareness of the importance of history and remembrance of the past in the contemporary society, and also to be a modern institution which serves as a space for lively meetings and an exchange of views on current issues in visuality and culture codes.
Due to the nature of its collections, The Walery Rzewuski Museum of History of Photography in Krakow raises important issues related to photography and image in general, which makes it an important centre promoting good practices. These objectives are achieved through the policy on the acquisition of objects, and exhibition, publishing, education and research activities.
wed, thu, fri 11:00 am – 6:00 pm; sat, sun 10:00 am – 3:30 pm
W: Museum of History of Photography
16 Józefitów Street