The Diocesan Museum of Palermo was opened in 1927 inside the Archbishop’s palace by the Cardinal Archbishop Alessandro Lualdi (1904-1927).
In the beginning, the collection, selected by Monsignor Guido Anichini, consisted above all of the sculptures that decorated the Cathedral, before it was transformed according to neoclassical fashion to a design by the Florentine architect Ferdinando Fuga at the end of the 18th century.
A significant loan of works from the National Museum of Palermo (now the Regional Gallery of Palazzo Abatellis) which included, among other things, paintings by Giorgio Vasari, Marco Pino and Antonio Alberti called the Barbalonga, the latter still today present in the exhibition.
tue, wed, thu, fri, sun 9:30 am – 1:30 pm; sat 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Via Matteo Bonello, 2