Galerie Rudolfinum is a state institution managed and financed by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic. Along with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, of which it is a part, the gallery is housed in Prague’s historic Rudolfinum building. The representative Neo-Renaissance building, generously designed as a concert hall and gallery, was built in 1884 by the architects of the National Theatre, Josef Zítek and Josef Schulz. In 1989-1992, the building underwent a major renovation that restored the original meaning and mission to the north, or exhibition, wing of the building. Its location in the vicinity of the Museum of Decorative Arts, Faculty of Philosophy and the Academy of Arts on the edge of Old Town and Malá strana (Little Quarter) makes Rudolfinum the natural cultural center of Prague.
Galerie Rudolfinum began its activities on the renovated premises on 1 January 1994. The programming is devoted to contemporary fine art with occasional glimpses of the past. An exclusive focus on exhibitions (the gallery does not have its own collections) and cooperation in the international context shapes Galerie Rudolfinum into an open communication environment, and other activities within exhibition projects contribute to this: issuing of catalogs and publications, organizing lectures, seminars and numerous accompanying programs, as well as music and film festivals. Educational work and lectures are also some of the other important components. The generously architecturally designed exhibition halls of the large gallery are complemented by the three halls of the small gallery, which are mainly suitable for intimate exhibitions and various other projects (e.g., screening, workshops and special installations).