Founded in 1996, it housed part of the collection of works by the artist Hélio Oiticica (1937-1980) until 2009. This was made possible through an agreement with the Hélio Oiticica Project, which is responsible for preserving and promoting his work. In addition to activities related to this collection, important exhibitions from Brazilian and foreign artists have been displayed at the institution.
Located in the vicinity of the Tiradentes Square, the oldest cultural hub of the city, the building was built in 1872 to host the National Conservatory of Music and over time had other occupants. Expanded in 1890, under the guidance of Italian architect Sante Bucciarelli, it was given its current design.
In the building of 2000m², spread over three floors, are located six exhibition spaces, two mezzanines, two multipurpose rooms, one research room, one auditorium with 100 seats and a coffee shop. The ground floor has WI-FI coverage.
Centro Municipal de Arte Hélio Oiticica has two permanent interventions by North American artist Richard Serra, made in 1997 for the exhibition “Rio Rounds”, his first show in Latin America. One of this interventions, located in the lobby, was restored by Brazilian artist Ronald Duarte in May 2014, when it was reopened to visitors.
mon, wed, fri 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm; tue, thu, sat 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Rua Luís de Camões, 68 Centro