The collection of the Museu Nacional de Belas Artes derives from the transfer of the Portuguese Court to Brazil in the early 19th century, when King John VI brought along with him part of the Portuguese Royal Collection. This art collection stayed in Brazil after the King’s return to Europe and became the core collection of the National School of Fine Arts.
When the Museu Nacional de Belas Artes was created in 1937, it became the heir not only of the National School’s collection, but also of its headquarters, a 1908 eclectic style building projected by Spanish architect Adolfo Morales de los Ríos. The Museum is now one of the most important cultural institutions of the country, as well as the most important museum of Brazilian art, particularly rich in 19th-century paintings and sculptures.
The collection includes more than 20,000 pieces, among paintings, sculptures, drawings and prints, of Brazilian and international artists, ranging from High Middle Ages to contemporary art. It also includes smaller assemblages of decorative arts, folk and African art. The museum library has a collection of about 19,000 titles. The building was listed as Brazilian national heritage in 1973.
tue, wed, thu, fri 10:00 am – 5:00 pm; sat, sun 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Avenida Rio Branco, 199 Centro