The CCBB Building, built in 1901, on Rua Álvares Penteado, corner of Rua da Quitanda, was purchased by the Banco do Brasil in 1923 and completely modified and restored. After the renovation designed by the architect Hippolyto Pujol, in 1927 it became the first branch of the Banco do Brasil in its own building in the capital of São Paulo. It operated as a banking agency until December, 1996.
In October, 1999, the Bank started the renovation of the building that would house the Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil in the city. The original elements were restored, thus maintaining the lines that make and reveal it as one of the most significant examples of the architecture from the beginning of the past century.