This exhibition provides a panorama of the transformations that took place in Rio de Janeiro during the 18th century, when the city became the capital of the Vice-Kingdom of Brazil (1763). Curated by Myriam Andrade Ribeiro de Oliveira, Anna Maria Fausto Monteiro de Carvalho, Margareth da Silva Pereira and Paulo Herkenhoff, the show celebrates the 450th anniversary of Rio’s foundation, and occupies by itself the third floor of the Pavilhão de Exposições, a space dedicated to questions regarding the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The visitor can see about 700 pieces – including documentation, objects from the period, illustrations, paintings, religious artefacts and contemporary artworks – by anonymous and acclaimed artists such as Mestre Valentim (1745 – 1813, Brazil), Adriana Varejão (b. 1964, Rio de Janeiro), Guignard (1896 – 1962, Brazil), Pierre Verger (1902, France – 1996, Brazil), Carlos Julião (1740, Italy – 1811, Brazil), Rugendas (1802 – 1858, Germany) and Debret (1768 – 1848, France), among others. The exhibition presents religious and civilian aspects of the tome, conducting the spectator from a route that begins right after the discovery and continues until the arrival of the Portuguese royal family to Rio, in 1808.